Wednesday, June 8, 2011

KCWC: Just a tad late......

Ah.....life.  Sure can getcha sometimes. I'm not surprised I missed May.....but sewing/crafting sure helps to keep things moving along, doesn't it??
So, this blue/brown number was supposed to be Lila's birthday dress(March) but no dice.  It's the Pretty as a Picture dress from AMH  Handmade Beginnings book.  Flower panel and brown voile from Little Folks and blue/brown stripe is from Innocent Crush voile - all from Anna Maria Horner (I do so love her!!This video is awesome!)



I iron while I sew the garment - NEVER after it's finished though.  I've heard it's bad luck....
  The dress is super cute and comfy i.e. she actually picks it off the hanger herself.  I altered it on accident by making the neck hole too small - I will not cross over as much on the top next time. 
 I altered it on purpose by taking the elastic off the back panel.  It was just a tad too snug with the elastic across the back.  I think it was still on in this pic.  Having the gathers on the sides only looks better to me :) 
I also altered it on purpose by changing up the front panel- I added brown strips to either side of the flower panel until it was the correct width.  I followed the pattern for the back.  I have another one cut out in almost the same fabrics.  I don't know why :)  Maybe because I have twin sisters - I like doubles?


During the week, I HAD to make the Seahorse Sundress from Oliver & S.  It's so freaking cute - but I don't know about a one scissor rating..... lots'o pieces to cut out.   I cut out double of everything because of the off-center nature of the fabric.  It was sort of a puzzle to pick which ones to put with what(huh?)  but I really like how both dresses came out.   And wow does my girl ever like pockets!!  I love her search-for-pockets pose.  Pockets in dresses are awesome!! 

After finishing the one above, I decided it needed some hand stitching.  In my opinion, it came out so awesome!!  I did only hand stitching on the yoke of the second dress. 

I love how the hand stitching looks on the dresses.  Here's both dresses side by side.  I used AMH Good Folks line.  I also used snaps instead of buttons.  Someday I will not be afraid of button holes.....someday....

Dress Fronts
A lot of influence from AMH, but also I've been recently re-hooked on my Alabama Chanin books.   I bought myself this (I guess I wear mine backwards!oops)  and some other goodies from them for Mom's day.  I would love this or this.  I will sew this one from the pattern in the book.  The bridal is so amazing... I could go on forever!

Dress Backs

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. Love the dresses! And the pants in the previous post. And that incredible quilt.

    I had my eye on that Olive & S pant pattern. I think I will go for it. Glad I clicked through your comment...a sweet space you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress,so funny how it has become the Seahorse dress!
    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. liesl should change the name of the dress! perfect use of the fabric...it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought fabric for that dress from handmade beginnings! i'm going to make a dress for my neice, but i've been putting it off for some reason. looks like i need to get going! love your profile, sublime forever! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very cute dress! I am hoping to sew with some of that voile some day...
    But really I came by to say that I too am wishing for the pale yellow Little House books that I had when I was little. And my daughter is looking forward to us living in a little cabin someday without electricity where we have to sew all of our clothes by hand. Though I'm thinking at least a treadle machine might be nice...

    ReplyDelete