Tuesday, August 23, 2011
This quilt has been a long time coming! Most of the blocks were finished last May/June. I started out making squares in squares with varying widths of strips. My plan was to cut all the blocks up and "bento" them back together. I guess I sort of got a bit lazy and also like the way the blocks looked slashed in half. I kept some of the blocks as squares and sewed them together. I quilted half of it in November and the other half in December. Binding was sewn on in January some time. And, since we also got rid of our cable box in January, there was no hand-sewing-while-tv-watching going on, so it took until a few weeks ago to finish stiching the binding down on the back.
It's been on the couch.
Denyse Schmidt. The solids are all Kona except for the taupe color which is a Kaffe Fassett Shot cotton.
The back is AMH Flannel. Flannel for a quilt back is awesome. This print went so well with the colors from the front! Quilted all over stipple.
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
|Block #9 and #10|
This block's colors are my favorite! I placed the green print fabric on so many different blues
and ended up with this one. I love how it turned out!!
I tried paper-piecing a few of these blocks. I'm sure if I were more comfortable with paper piecing, I would prefer to do it.....but I think I like cutting the templates. I've been using the templates and cutting about 1/4" larger that required. After that, I piece and trim and piece and trim. It's working out better for me, but for the life of me, I cannot get my points to line up.
It is so fun to see how different all these blocks can be, just by changing up the fabrics!
If you haven't - check out the flickr group - some seriously amazing quilts are being made!
Friday, August 5, 2011
|Block # 7 Birds in the Air|
|Block #8 Bouquet|
Not sure what happened at the bottom.....I'll trim them up later.....
I'm still undecided on the dark blue....
I need to lay all the blocks out together and see how they play off each other.