Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Dress

 I made a dress!  My brother-in-law got married in Snoqualmie, WA in July, so I decided to make a dress rather than deal with shopping for one.
It's the same dress that I made at the Heather Ross Weekend Sewing Workshop this past January.  Except I never finished that one so......  I figured I'd make a new one.   I had just sent my deposit payment to Heather Ross for the WSW in Palm Springs for next January.  I was all pumped and wanted to make something.


  It's Anna Maria Horner's Evening Empire Dress for the bodice and the skirt panels from Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing (Yard Sale Skirt).  Rather than line fabric with interfacing, I chose to go with some AMH home dec fabric for the top.  The bottom is a light yellow linen/rayon blend.
I added 3 small pleats to the back to keep the skirt seams symmetrical.

I actually finished the dress the night before the wedding and with all the seam ripping and re-sewing, the dress bodice ended up a little floppy.  I am on the fence as to whether or not this was appropriate to wear to a wedding.  It seems to have come out a little to "summer dress" than "wedding appropriate."

The inside is lined with some Good Folks.


The zipper install came out okay.....


I moved the straps out a lot!


I made some bias trim to go around the bottom. 
 I really like how it turned out.

:) Raven


 

7 comments:

  1. I was coming to your blog so I could link to it from mine, and saw that you posted. What a fun surprise. :)

    The dress turned out so great...you should definitely make more.

    PS. I know you're SO excited about the workshop in January. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job and looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love it! Looks great on you. Great fabric choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's my dream to make a dress! That's beautiful and looks really lovely on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! You looked gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed
    reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to
    bookmark your blog and will come back later in life.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
    have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete